Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Nowruz Holiday

Nowruz (Persian: نوروز /noʊruz/ ↔ [noʊɾuːz]; marks the first day of spring and the beginning of the Iranian year. It is celebrated on the day of the astronomical vernal equinox (the start of spring in the northern hemisphere), which usually occurs on March 21 or the previous/following day depending on where it is observed. (From Wikipedia)

I was told to leave early today because this evening, Iranians will celebrate the Chahârshanbe Sûrî or the Wednesday of Fire. A lot of hand-made fire-crackers, bombs (definitely not C4) and other explosives will be used to celebrate it. It will be dangerous for me to be outside when it starts and taxi drivers will refuse to take me to the hotel.... apparently out of worries for their own safety. In fact, while writing this entry, they are already starting the celebrations. I can here some explosions a few minutes ago.

So, I got to the hotel early, went out to buy dinner. One of my friends at work today told me to stay inside. He said younger generations are getting the wrong ideas about the celebration. They will set explosives and fire-crackers....even on the streets. Luckily, the hotel gave me an 11th floor room....could be because of that.

Anyhow.... I want to wish all my Iranian/Persian friends a Happy Nowruz Holiday. I hope we will meet again "next year".

Read more about Nowruz and Chaharshanbe Suri HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment