Sunday, November 09, 2008

I miss FISHING.....

My flight to Tehran arrived at about 930am local time.....and was greeted by the cool weather....maybe about 10C-12C. I'll be spending the whole week here.....It definitely gonna get cooler in a few weeks.....especially when the wind blow....The snow has fallen in the mountains on the background of this city.....

I didn't miss the snow, then...I had experienced Tehran's snow back in February.....but I definitely miss fishing....

I browsed a few angling-related websites yesterday.....the price of angling equipment really surprised me......Aed200+ for a reel, another Aed200+ for a rod....Aed80 for a mono-filament line....plus a few Aed's for tackles and baits.....It didn't sound so bad after all.....Maybe, one of these days, I'd go out of my sabbatical here in the middle east.....a brand new experience for me....

But to fish in Dubai, you have to get a license from the Municipality......just like in the US...it's one of the methods to regulate fishing and to protect the fishes. It's not like in Malaysia where we can fish virtually anywhere we desire....without paying anything to the authorities.....

I think, Malaysian wildlife authorities etc. should implement this.....it's one thing to have a hobby.....but to safeguard our natural resources such as fish is also our responsibilities.....

I remember one time when I went fishing with a few of my buddies in the American River in Sacramento.....every once in a while, there will be a boat of Fish and Games wardens patrolling the river....urging us to flash our fishing license.....

I learned about Sustainable Development (SD) in one of my Graduate school classes.....and, in my opinion, regulating activities such as hunting and fishing is probably one of the aspects and requirements of SD.

Back in the US.....they have this minimum size limit for every species of fish.....as well as those species that are illegal to catch....

But, I definitely will go fishing in Dubai......maybe get a year's license....buy basic equipment and take the whole family on a fishing weekend.....maybe by the Dubai Creek or anywhere.....

OR if I can't afford the equipment, I might have to ship my rods, reels and everything from Malaysia....I'm sure they are gathering dust in the store room under the stairs. Then, I'll have something to show to my fishing buddies in Malaysia.....hehehe.....I CAN fish in Dubai.....and I might even make new fishing buddies here as well.

Here are some of the angling sites in Dubai:

http://barracudadubai.com/
http://www.sstuae.com/
http://www.angelfire.com/ut/FishDubai/fishingindubai.html
http://www.city-discovery.com/dubai/tour.php?id=2913

No comments:

Post a Comment