Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Birthday Weekend

15th January 2009....my first-born daughter’s 11th birthday. Since this is a special day, we have planned a weekend in Dubai like never before.

It all started on the late afternoon of the 15th. Since my flight from Cairo arrived early morning of the 15th, I have some time in the morning before I had to go to the office. I went to the driving school to get my driving license. I have been postponing it since last week due to my biz trip to Cairo.

Late in the afternoon, I went back from the office in my officemate’s husband’s car. I asked him to help me bring the LCD TV that I bought from the company. So, I managed to reach home earlier than usual. After thanking my new-found friend and sending the TV up to the apartment, I went on a short walk to a car rental office. I rented a white Toyota Corolla.....for the weekend travel plan that I’ve worked out with the family. And for the first time, I drove in Dubai (without the driving instructor of course).

Then, I treated them to a Pizza Hut dinner.....thanks to Pizza Hut delivery. That night, we take our first car ride to the Umm Suqeim and Jumeirah areas..... just to feel the night air in the posh residential areas.

On the Friday morning, I brought the whole family out. We went to the Jumeirah Beach Centre to buy some new uniform for the girls, but the shop’s closed on Friday. Then, we went to the Green City restaurant to have lunch but it’s closed because it was near to the Friday prayer time. So, we went to Lamcy Plaza instead just to fill our stomach enough to take us through the early afternoon.

I performed my Friday prayer at Jamia Mosque near Oud Metha. The sermon (khutbah) was in Urdu and the most interesting thing is that it’s located just beside a church (St Mary’s Catholic church).

Sky Dubai ride (Ibnu Battuta Mall)....we had to take a rain-check for this

The Kids....enjoying Ibnu Battuta Mall

After that we went straight to our next destination....Ibnu Battuta Mall. It was not actually straight forward though....we had to take a U-turn near Jebel Ali Free-zone because I missed the exit to the mall. Read HERE to know more about the mall. The trip to the mall ends with a visit to Magrudy’s bookstore. We each got a book of our choice.....and of course with me paying for them.

We were so tired when arriving home...... after Maghrib prayer, I felt asleep until about after 900pm. I had to cancel going to a “majlis” organized by the Malaysian society here.

We could wait for the next day to come....

--------------------------

Saturday morning.....we left home at about 1130am..... Our destination was the Jumeirah Beach Centre to buy uniforms for the girls. We only got Along a sweater and a new pair of pants. We talked Ain into taking a rain-check....luckily she didn’t mind.

Taco Bell at Dubai Mall

Some of the Taco Bell meals we had

Taco Bell bean burrito

Then....off we went to the ultimate destination.... Dubai Mall. Dubai Mall is one of the biggest shopping mall in the world....or maybe the biggest. Our first stop was Taco Bell. My wife had wanted to taste the real burritos. We ordered 3 bean burritos, french fries and empanada.... It was the first time since I left the US that I tasted the tasty and mouth-watering taste of Taco Bell burritos. My wife also liked it.....and for a meal of five people, the price was quite reasonable..... It looked like that Taco Bell will be our monthly meal affair.

Inside the tunnel under the aquarium

The Kids at the aquarium

I went to perform Dzuhur with Apit while the ladies went into the Kinokuniya bookstore. We always make it a point to bring the kids to a bookstore....to get them acquainted with books. Then, we went to the aquarium.....we were expecting to see the controversial whale-shark, but the gigantic creature was nowhere to be seen. Probably they had removed it due to pressures from the environmentalist groups.

We left the mall.....the next destination was Dubai City Centre..... we wanted to buy Along her birthday present.... a pair of Converse All-Star that she had been craving about. Then, after performing ‘Asar, Apit and I met the ladies at Carrefour..... we did some shopping especially for the food-stuff that the girls are going to bring to school.

We went home in a hurry as I needed to return the car by 730pm..... I performed Maghrib and then took the car back at the rental office. I paid the friendly clerk (Mr Zia) and went back.....

What a weekend.....I hope my family enjoyed the first weekend we spent driving by ourselves..... and I hope this would be a birthday weekend that Along never forgets.

-----------------------------

To Along:

I’m sorry, Ayah didn’t put in a special entry for your 11th birthday.....but please remember Ayah and Ibu love you all the same.....We hope that entering a teenager stage in your life would bring in more maturity and sense of responsibility to you.....

Happy 11th Birthday to you (15th January, 2009)

2 comments:

  1. Happy 11th Birthday Along!! -from Pakcu,Awan,Atuk,Mak Long & families..

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st visit to the blog ni, heheh! shark tu bukan kat atlantis ke? i think it's still there.


    Yg duduk tingkat atas,
    Rusli W

    ReplyDelete