Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Few Good Men (Part 1)

My Emirates flight from Tehran departed and arrived on time....which was a rare occasion according to my numerous experience with Emirates from Tehran.....

DXB on a Thursday night resembles a Pasar Malam......a lot of people coming and going......Maybe that's one of the reasons why the Immigration officers are quite timid, jumpy and cocky at times.....

Once, I was asked why do I always go to tehran to work when I have a Dubai (Residence) visa......? I just smiled.......no use talking back......she was just tired I think.....

Tehran has been my "home away from home" now...especially the Homa Hotel.......I guess most of the hotel staff know me......

I was in the taxi to Homa from Shahab when a thought came upon me.....about a few people who I admired the most in my life....at least for now.....well, of course outside my circle of families........

Mokhtar Dahari, the name sent shivers down the opposition goalkeepers and defenders in his prime days....a great athelete with an iron will and a tremendous work ethics. I was still a small kampung boy when he first entered Malaysia football scenes. I remembered, along with my family and relatives, being "glued" to the small transistor radio every time Malaysia national team played. Just hearing the commentator (usually Dato' Hasbullah or Dato' Rahim) mentioning his name made us proud.....proud of our country....proud of this guy we all called "Super Mokh".

I remembered vaguely the day Malaysia went against England B, coached by Sir Bobby Robson.....he scored perhaps the most beautiful goal then....beating Joe Corrigan from outside the box. Sir Bobby was so impressed about this young man that, the legend said, he offered him a trial with Arsenal...or Newcastle....(I don't quite remember).....I guess there'll be no other Malaysian footballers who will recieved that kind of offer.....It symbolized respects and appreciations for his skills and ethics.....But now Super Mokh is no more.....he left behind such a legacy that will live on forever....

This month marks the 17-year anniversary of the demise of this shining star......the one "No 10" of Malaysian football.....If I had my way...I'll retire that number for good....nobody else desrves to wear the No 10 jersey....not anymore......

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment